Master of Science, Creative Arts Therapy- Music Therapy
Nazareth College of Rochester
Bachelor of Arts, Music
Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology
State University of New York at the College of Oneonta
CERTIFICATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Licensed Creative Arts Therapist in New York State
- Registered Psychotherapist (NLC), able to sit for LPC exam in July of 2020
- Nationally board certified through the Certification Board of Music Therapists
- Current member of American Music Therapy Association and Colorado State Music Therapy Association
- Served in MARAMTA Public Relations Department as Webmaster for two years
- Engaged children with life-limiting illness and/or developmental differences in emotional processing, creative expression, and advancement of skills through music therapy interventions
- Applied advanced knowledge of Rogerian, play therapy, and other humanistic theories into the music therapy setting with several different populations
- Retained clients of families enrolled in music therapy services by demonstrating consistent communication with families about goals, treatment, and progress within sessions
Spectrum Creative Arts, Rochester NY
- Created and facilitated a developmental music group for infants and caregivers to support bonding, relationship, and infant mental health
- Expanded small school contracts into larger positions by establishing positive relationships with teachers, therapists, staff, and administrators while continuing to provide quality services
- Specialized in providing IEP-based and program-based services utilizing a blend of humanistic and behavioral approaches while maintaining quantitative standards required by school districts
- Directed and facilitated creative arts therapy day program for young adults with special needs focused on supporting social-emotional skills, creative expression, and therapeutic performance
Music Therapy Intern
Mary Cariola Children’s Center, Rochester NY
- Participated in experiential learning to deepen methods of assessment, treatment, and evaluation while completing assignments to grow knowledge of human development and musical competencies
- Improved collaboration and communication skills by co-treating with a variety of colleagues, including music, speech, vision, physical, and occupational therapists
- Developed an understanding of humanistic approaches such as Nordoff-Robbins and music-centered approaches within a specialized school setting
Music Therapy Student
Nazareth College Clinic, Rochester NY
- Engaged in co-treatments with speech language pathology, physical therapy, and other music therapy students to support clients with physical rehabilitation needs
- Co-led and facilitated music therapy sessions within special education, medical facilities, and rehab units
Private Supervisor, Denver CO
- Promoted personal growth, self-awareness, and musical development for supervisees dependent upon their unique needs and professional level
- Utilized a blend of insight-oriented and emotionally-based approaches to support deeper understanding of verbal processing, thematic analysis, and relationship dynamics
- Implemented additional clinical supervision and consultation support for music therapy team members
- Provided support on interventions, counseling skills, clinical skills, and musical skills
- Currently aiding in the creation of university affiliated internship position for the agency as lead internship supervisor
- Persistently pursued the development of an internship position since starting position in 2017 by advocating and creating materials for administration
Spectrum Creative Arts
- Supervised practicum students and interns from various universities at undergraduate and graduate level
- Provided supervision working with a variety of populations including school-aged students with special needs, adult clients with developmental differences, adult clients with rehabilitative needs, and clients in assisted living facilities
- Included therapist observations, one-one-one supervision, co-leading sessions, intern supervised sessions, and educational support for interns
- Career Development (2019). Graduate course taken at University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO.
- Ethics in the Helping Professions (2019). Graduate course taken at University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO.
- Supervision in Music Therapy (2019). Online presentation through musictherapyonline.org, https://musictherapyonline.org/p/supervision-in-music-therapy.
- Integrating the Relational Neurosciences in Child and Play Therapy (2019). Online presentation through robyngobbelcounseling.com, https://www.gobbelcounseling.com/.
- End of Life Support for Children and Families (2017). Training provided by Child and Family Therapy Center of Denver, Denver, CO.
- Supervising the National Roster Music Therapy Intern (2017). AMTA-MAR Regional Conference CMTE, Rochester, NY.
- Legislative Advocacy for Music Therapy in NY (2017). AMTA-MAR Regional Conference CMTE, Rochester, NY.
- A Dialogue on Current and Future Music Therapy Practice in New York State (2016). CMTE at Nazareth College of Rochester, Rochester, NY.
- Music Therapy Assessment with the SEMTAP (2016). CMTE offered through Spectrum Creative Arts, Rochester, NY.
- Sensory and Behavior: A comprehensive Approach to Addressing Challenging Behaviors (2015). CMTE course provided by Kidstart, Livonia, NY.
PRESENTATION AND PUBLICATIONS
- McIntosh S, Block RC, Coykendall C, Lin Y, Wojdak C, Silvey P, Bansal A, Shannon K,. Indicators of Self Determination in Lyrics Created by Adults with Very High Levels of LDL Cholesterol during Therapeutic Songwriting. (2020) (In Prep)
- Shannon, K. (2020) Counseling Techniques for Children of All Abilities. CMTE course hosted through musictherapyed.com. (June 2020) (In Prep)
- Shannon, K. Integrating Play Therapy Techniques and Relational Neurosciences in Music Therapy for Children. (April 2020). CMTE (5 hour) Presentation at Mid-Western Regional Conference of Music Therapy, Lincoln, NE.
- Shannon, K. Music therapy with children. (January 2020). Online presentation for Innovative Child Therapy Symposium, Denver, CO.
- Shannon, K. Building relationship and emotional awareness with children with special needs. (November 2019). Online Presentation for FOMO conference held by musictherapyed.com
- Shannon, K. Multicultural perspectives in counseling with children. (April 2018). Presentation for Child and Family Therapy Center of Denver. Denver, CO.
- Shannon, K. & Creary, L. Dynamics of Personality: Understanding the introvert/ambivert/extrovert spectrum. (2017). Presentation at Mid-Atlantic Region of American Music Therapy Association, Rochester, NY.
- Shannon, K. Using music to support healthy child development. (2017). Presentation at Caregiver Symposium: Tiny Tots, Rochester, NY.
- Ford, J., Mounts, A., Shannon, K., Skahill, K., & Willey, J. Co-treating with a Speech Language Pathologist: What is my role? (2014) Presentation at Mid-Atlantic Region of American Music Therapy Association, Buffalo, NY.
Co-Investigator, Familial Hypercholesterolemia: Improving Health Via Songwriting
University of Rochester, Department of Medicine 2017-current
- Created literature review and outline of music therapy protocol for initial pilot proposal
- Consulted on songwriting analysis and assisted in qualitative coding analysis of lyrics
Research Assistant, Music Therapy as Procedural Support During Botulinum Injections for Pediatric Patients
University of Rochester, Department of Pediatrics 2013-2014
- Analyzed data collection to ensure inter-rater reliability across researchers
- Digitized research videos, data collections and data analysis of study sessions
Graduate Research Assistant
Nazareth College of Rochester, Department of Creative Arts Therapy 2013-2014
- Supported Dr. Betsey King in developing literature review of music therapy for patients in need of physical and speech rehabilitation
- Organized materials and supported troubleshooting with initial efforts of research for the department